Skip to main content

Reply to "Burnt grease on foiled lid of wood box is causing a problem."

This may or may not help, but I double foil the wood box top with extra heavy duty foil instead of the lighter foil weights. This keeps the foil a bit cooler and prevents it from sticking to the box like the lighter foils can. I also spray the foil after wrapping it onto the lid with some cooking spray, which helps the drippings slide off the box, at least a little bit.
I also try to avoid putting meats directly over the box, and I start fatty meats at lower temps until they form a crust and then increase the temp. I've found a lot less grease on the bottom and in the drip pan, which means it's kept inside the meat (more for my belly and coronaries!)

I would think the pan under the meat would work if the piece of meat is small, but a large pan like a cookie sheet would block the meat from the heat and slow your cooking time way down. And unless the pan or sheet is thick and/or insulated, if the smoker is cranked up the sheet might absorb enough heat to cause droppings to burn on it instead of the wood box.