Skip to main content

Reply to "Can’t decide."

I have been using the CS smokers for over 20 years.  My first one was an SMO09.  I outgrew it fairly quickly and decided to move up to the SMO45.  I thought about the SMO25 and with the thought of outgrowing it, I went with the SMO45.  I ran both of these together for a number of years and was given an SMO66.  Some of the best advice I can give someone looking at getting a CS smoker is, buy the biggest one you can afford.  These things are built like tanks and I handed both my SMO09 and SMO45 down to my kids.  Both are still running like new.  The CS smokers do take a little getting used to.  They are built very tight and take amazingly small amounts of wood to get a good smoke flavor.  They also run very moist so if you are doing something like jerky or sausage that needs to be dried out, you will need to open the door several times during the smoke to dump the moisture.  Whichever smoker you buy, buy it from Cookshack and have them do an upgrade to stainless steel cooking grates and the optional side racks that allow you to add more cooking grates.  This will save you money in the long run and makes the smoker much more adaptable.