Skip to main content

Reply to "Can’t decide."

I have had a BGE XL since 2012.  It is a great cooker, I have had very good, repeatable results. Having said that I'll also say I agree with what you said about your care and feeding the Kamado Joe.  I use a Digiq Que DX2 so in addition to cleaning out the firebox, adding the lump charcoal, I also need to setup the Digiq blower.  Not really a problem but certainly more time and effort compared to hitting the power button on my SM025.  I got the SM025 for much the same reasons you are considering a CookShack box. 

I still use the BGE but mainly for turkey and sometimes for chicken. 

So what size?  I purchased the SM025 because it has all the space I need.  Simple enough.  I considered a SM045 but, to date, that would have been overkill for me in terms of cooking space.  I normally smoke enough for two to four people.  When I do need more cooking space I have the BGE sitting right next to the SM025.  With the two units you can cook a lot of food.

As far as taste goes - both produce a first class product.  In my experience it can be difficult to tell the difference although I do find the cookshack can have a stronger smoke taste.  That is mainly a factor of how much wood you put in the unit.   One other 'thing' I like about the SM025 is it does a great job controlling/retaining a humid box.  The BGE does as well although I usually (as in practically 99% of the time) use a water pan.

I have done 12 hour cooks in the BGE doing pork butt and Briskette.  I have done the same with the SM025.  One factor to consider it that with the SM025 I never had to think about checking on charcoal or being concerned if the unit was still running at 3 AM.

I am huge fan of both. For me the edge goes to cookshack by a good margin.

Yeah, quite a rambling post but perhaps it helps.