Skip to main content

Reply to "Cleaning question"

Just my $.02 on cleaning the racks.

When I first got an 008 many years ago, I went anal on cleaning the racks. Bought the big tubs (2 or 3 over time), filled them with really caustic cleaner like Greased Lightening or Pro Force, and yes, they came clean but it was a chore to do this and in the winter, in became even harder. (I have a septic and didn't want to pour that caustic stuff down the drain)

And over time, I wore the coating off the grates, which isn't supposed to be a problem but I wasn't happy about it.

Then I switched to an 055 (thinking it would be the last smoker I ever needed to buy) and was very careful of the racks. Now I just stick them in the dishwasher, which takes all or most of the food particles off, but leaves some of the smoke coating. Sometimes I lightly rub the racks after the come out of the washer. But doing them in the washer is So much easier and I don't really scrub anymore. They are clean of food, and the coating probably helps the process so I leave it on.

Thinking ahead, I bought the stainless steel racks as well but have yet to use them. And may never have to.

K.I.S.S. Keep the cleaning simple!