Skip to main content

Reply to "Cooking for 60 baseball players"

just got done, well, todd is right on his calculations. I am glad i head some extra in the fridge to through in and warm up. I am small time, cater a few bars on weekends, pulled pork byt the pan and two sides, simple stuff, then the rest of the time, its a family on vacation not wanting to cook and they are here for 2 weeks or a month and they want bbq without the hassle. They call in before they leave for Disney and when they get home at 7 pm, I arrive and deliver then a half pan of ribs, butt, chicken, sides and I leave, simple to control. This was unusual, but good, I might add. The customer drove by my house and I had the FEC 100 going and they smelled it and stopped. But sixty people is alot at one time.They forgot to tell me they were 20 college kids, the man who stopped wasz the dad, ya, so i assumed older people. We show up and they are all big boys and it is self serve drop and run, the way the dad wanted it. we ended up running back and grabbing some more and bringing it back to them. they were pleased. Nice Indiana couple. Anyway. Total food count.
80 buns
18 # puled pork
10 slabs st louis ribs cut into 2 bone sections
13 # rib tips
21 # baked beans
10 # coleslaw
3 half pans nana pudding
57 men, one women and a food cost of $237.34 and a gross of $15.00 head, so $900 Gross,$662.66 net
I cooked the butts 16 hours, the ribs, 6 hours, the chicken 3 hours and the beans 3 hours. As it kept getting fuller it was hard to stay on target temp. 224 for first 11 hours with the butts was fine, turned up to 300, added the ribs and it held at 300 til i put the chicken on buttom racks, then i could not keep it above 212 for the rest of the smoke. It did come out fine, but good lesson on that much weight at one time slowing process down.
Thanks Again CS and the Forums for helping out make good Q