Skip to main content

Cooking with 2012 rub exchange rubs and sauces!

About a month ago I made the trip to Sam's for some supplies(foil,gloves) and to check out the meat cooler for a brisket. Probably should have talked to a meat cutter because the packers was a little skimpy, but hey I did find a 7.5 lb CAB brisket flat that was even in thickness. Being the only CAB brisket in the cooler I carted it home and threw it in my homemade wet aging cooler. I know you need a kill date, but hey you do what you have to do.

Got the flat out Friday afternoon and injected it with some of Dave's(Butchers) injection and then got a chance to try out my "new" Phoenix Competition rub. After smelling/tasting it before hand I compared it a lot to Fast Eddy's competition rub, maybe a little more brown sugar in it. I added some black pepper and garlic to the brisket also.

Turned out nice, somehow I must to have gotten lucky and cooked it till it was fork tender. Nice flavor, my stupid buddy Tim said it was the best yet, but what does he know...LOL!

I thought maybe it needed a little thicker coating of rub on it, which I normally do, but the rub container scared me when it said dry heat, oh well. I'll try more next time, but overall, a fine well balanced rub.

Anyone else use their new rubs or sauces?
Original Post