Skip to main content

Reply to "Forget The Factory Dial Readings!"

ABSOLUTELY, if you think CS is lying to you and the information they sent out with it isn't helpful, pick up the toll free phone and call them. They LOVE feedback, and new owners give some of the best.

Well, gotta disagree with the Title "forget the factory dial readings" sounding like you're pretty happy with what people advise there and here in general.

Best rule is to come to the forum, if you don't like the advice here, sorry it's the best we've got.

If you throw out the concept of 225 for x hours and instead just turn it on high and let her rip, then you're proving the point of "it's done when it's done" as you'll have zero percentage of predicting when it's done.

That comment is meant for those that say..."well I cooked it 2 hours a lb and it's still not done."

It's a recipe, not a scientific rule. The times, temps, guidelines are just that. A ball park to get you started.

And KEEP A NOTEBOOK for your methods, your temps, your times.

"lie" is a pretty strong word in my household and certainly doesn't fit here.

The best way of knowing is to use the smoker enough so that you know your own times and temps for what you're cooking.

I could tell you when I do briskets, it takes me exactly 1 hour a pound and I always pull early, but when you do it and it doesn't come out the same way, does that make me a liar?

BBQ is more art than science. The ONLY best method is what works for you. If it takes you 2.234 hours per pound to get what you like, then you'll know for your next party.

Keep notes and for the next party, you'll be done ahead of time. Oh, and we also suggest, don't do a new cut of meat for a party if you haven't done it before, can't always predict the time exactly.