Skip to main content

Reply to "Help!! family expectations"

Well, this is my first time on the air @ this forum. Hello. everybody!
Purchased my 008 from Cabela's in Dundee, Mi on July 14th. They had some promotions going on and got out of the store for under $400.00 which included MI tax. Got home & seasoned my smokette at 200f for about 5 hours with a concotion of fatty meat. Looks good/smells great.
My first project was as standard pork butt from Sams. Did it overnight with a temp setting of 225f and in the morning I was stuck on a internal temperature of 178f. Turned up the thermostat on that little pup as far as it would go - to the 250 mark. I then put my Taylor digital down the top vent and began reading. I watched the readings continously through the swings and the highest reading that I could get out her was 151.5 I did manage to get the internal temp up to 190f and pulled it after about 18 hrs. of cookin. That's the longest timeI've ever spent on getting a butt to 190F.
Put in a call to CS customer service and they were very helpful, (What did I expect?) I'm not sure who they transferred me to, but the guy said it sounded like I had a thermostat that was not properly calibrated. He sent me out another thermostat and I replaced it myself. The hardest part was taking off the metal tape on the dashboard of the 008. (There are two screws holing the thermostat in place under this foil tape.)CS also sent out a new foil tape with the thermostat.
I gave her a test run after with the new thermostat in place and am very satisfied with the temp swings @ the 225f setting. Ready for some ribs any day now----