Skip to main content

Reply to "Incredible Brisket Recipe"

Whalebone-Richard B: A little update.

Missed my target start time of 11:00 PM since I fell asleep reading a book and did not wake up until 1:15 AM. Pulled the brisket from the recipe marinade, rinsed, dried, and applied the recipe rub. In the smoker at 1:30 AM with a small chunk each of black cherry and wild apple. Set to 200F and went to bed.

Was getting ready to increase the smoker temp to 225F at 9:30 AM when a client called and said he needed some documents revised for an early meeting the following day so off to the office I went (forgetting to increase the temp). Got back at 1:30 PM and the internal temp by my Taylor remote digital was 186F. Kicked it up to 225F and at 3:00 PM internal was 193F. Pulled, foiled (with finishing sauce, towelled, and coolered until 6:00 PM. Removed, sliced, drizzeled with a little of the finishing sauce. Bottom line - one of the best biskets that I've ever had - mine or otherwise. This recipes a keeper.

Only change I made was to the finishing sauce. Omitted the ketchup simply because I don't particularly care for it. Also, added 1/4 cup each of the marinade (strained), apple juice, and beef stock. Simmered and reduced by 1/2.

Both the recipe and the procedure (longer cook at a lower temp) are going to make up my "Go To" method for future briskets.