Skip to main content

Reply to "Introduce Yourself -- Time for a CS RollCall"

Jay1924:  I have most of the old 101's saved to my computer.   I don't know why the forum people have taken them off of the web site.  Just let me know if there are others you want to see.

Downersgrovecook:  The prewarmed cooler is very handy for keeping things warm.  I am not sure about PR but know that a couple of hours in the cooler really helps with brisket and pork shoulders.  My wife is not a fan of smoked au jus.  You can make it by either putting the PR in roasting pan with a roasting rack, or just by putting a roasting pan under the PR in the smoker to catch the drippings.  We find it easier just to use packaged au jus mix.  Johnny's French Dip Au Jus is a good one. There is sort of a rule of thumb for carryover cooking.  Depending on the temperature that you cook the meat at, you will see a 5 to 10 degrees rise in temperature after you pull it out of the smoker.  The hotter the smoker the higher the carryover temp will be.  Your PR should have been right on the cusp between medium-rare and medium.