Skip to main content

Reply to "Introduce Yourself -- Time for a CS RollCall"

@SmokyRich, welcome. I have not used the pg500 so I can't say for sure if this is a good enough selection for your needs. Specs say the PG500 max out at 600°, not sure if its going be a significant difference. I also don't known if that's 600 at grill surface or 600 above or below the surface.

In general, I am of the opinion to use the right tool for the job. I've never really been a fan of pellet grills. The smokers seem ok, but as a grill, I never feel they get quite hot enough at the surface for my ideal sear/char. But this also begs the question of what are you grilling. Not everything needs that ultra-hot 900-1000°+ surface temp. I don't always grill and sear at that high of temp.

If space is not a significant issue, I would suggest a grill for grilling and a smoker for smoking. I love my sm-008, wish I had a larger one - next time. Have my offset stick burner for larger items and wood/charcoal grilling and a gas for quick grilling. But cost and space are not factored into this suggestion.