Skip to main content

Reply to "Newbies Areas and Newbie questions"

Take a deep breath....

...breath in...

...breath out...

Now, Rule #1. BBQ is fun, so do NOT overthink it. You will ONLY get there with practice, but you've done exactly the right thing, read first.

Too MANY new owners never stop by until something goes wrong.

Now, on to the answers...

quote:
Originally posted by MikeF:
2. Make sure GFI didn't blow
3. Use hairdryer to remove any moisture from Control panel
4. Use Screw driver to take off screws for controler; inspect and re-wire entire panel
4.5 Presuming any of the above works be aware the controller temp can have a mind of its own during seasoning...heat fluctuations etc
5. Tearfully post pics and plea for assistance here

I'd focus on everything going right, not everything going wrong. As typically happens new owners will post issues, but they don't stop by often enough to post that they didn't have ANY. You do not need to do all those things first.

And yes, I understand you're just planning

...breath in....

...breath out...

Big Grin

quote:
6. click heels three times and say there's no place like SMokin Oakies backyard?

Next best thing, I'm here in the forum. Oh, and Okie has no A in it, I failed one course, one in my life... Literature

quote:
7. SMoke butt on Luhr Jensen Big Chief(where I upgraded from..), finish on Weber Gasser and tell wife what a great job the new AQ did!

Not funny Frowner

quote:
Back to Newbies Area...need a Post for TLAs(Three Letter Acronyms)

I found out what FTC is, what's a PM?

We do have one (your later post found it, but here it is:

Glossary

quote:
Thinking about cutting one in half and seasoning AQ with it? was $1.65/LB? seems a bit of a waste?

Why, just because it's seasoning, doesn't mean it won't be edible. I'd just rub a full PB however you want and smoke away. Do NOT use too much wood if there is food in the smoker. You could use more wood if just seasoning.

quote:
are you all weighing the wood? or is the wood from CS cut to specific weight...

No, it's not cut to weight, no one does when they sell it.

One suggestion. Get a good scale and weigh everything. Rib racks especially, wood most definitely. You'll improve a lot if you keep good notes and know the weight of the food, the temp you cooked at and the amount of wood

quote:
When seasoning do you put all the shelvies in or only 1? I'm lazy and don't want to clean them all?

You need to season all the shelves. No, you don't HAVE to clean the racks every time. In the BBQ world, a lot of food gets cooked on smokers that are never cleaned.

Just clean as needed (see Lessons learned)
quote:
specifically uploading either Pics or videos? I'm ahead of my self...I may only be posting failures...
Mike

In all your searching you missed three threads that you should start with.

At the top of any forum, look at the first few threads.

Those in BOLD RED are "featured" that means they are always at the top.

MANY, MANY, MANY people (did I say MANY) forget to look and post on them but I've featured that so you can always find them.

The Featured thread vary by the forum you in.

Enough info... now get cooking.

...breath in....

...breath out...

...dig in...