Skip to main content

Reply to "PICS Andi's Kippered Salmon"

I got it all worked out now, thanks to the help in this topic and a lot of experimentation. First off, while the Atlantic farmed salmon will do, I much prefer the Copper River or Sockeye salmon with the skin still on.

My dry brine consists of equal weights of dark brown sugar and kosher salt. I used to weigh them until I found 1 lb. boxes of each, so now I just throw them together in a bowl and mix. I cut the filets into more manageable sizes before brining. Then I put the filets in glass baking dishes, skin side down, and coat generously, cover with plastic wrap, and stick in the fridge overnight.

Next morning, I rinse the filets to remove all traces of the brine, pat 'em totally dry, and stick back in the fridge, uncovered, skin side down. I check back every now and then until the filets have formed a nice hard pellicle.

The final step is painting the filets, just the tops of them, with pure New England maple syrup, just a thin coat. I leave them in the fridge, uncovered, overnight. Next morning I'm looking for a really hard dry pellicle without any trace of moisture.

Into the smoker they go, 1 oz. of alder, 150 degrees to start, the thickest filet with a temperature probe in the thickest part. Once the probe temperature gets up to 100 degrees, I raise the smoker temperature to 160 degrees. I repeat this raising of the smoker temperature by 10 degrees for every 10 degrees of filet temperature rise, to a maximum smoker temperature of 190 degrees. I pull the fish the moment the probe temperature gets up to 140 degrees.

The finished product has no white ooze, is firm yet moist inside, having retained much of the fatty fish oils that are supposed to be so good for you. Once I set out a slab of smoked salmon along with some wheat crackers, lemon wedges, and capers, it's gone in no time. Smiler