Skip to main content

Reply to "PICS Andi's Kippered Salmon"

TN Q,

I did your (and Andi's) salmon recipe this past weekend on two nice 2 3/4 lb salmon filets. They turned out great!!! I left them in the dry brine for 4 hours and I was amazed at how much moisture was pulled out of the fish, and how "stiff" they were. After rinsing off the brine and patting dry, I put them in the fridge to dry Saturday and as you said glazed them with maple syrup half way through. I smoked the filets with about 3 small chunks of alder (~1 1/2 oz) late Sunday afternoon (It took about 24 hrs in the fridge to form a good pellicle). As soon as they cooled enough I vacumn packed them into ~1/2 lb portions. They were actually better after chilling overnight than right out of the smoker. The fish was a hit at my office.

I do have a couple of questions though. I could not find any Potassium Nitrate (KNO3, Saltpeter). I assume you use that to extend the "life" of the salmon and to additiionally cure the fish. Is this true? Also, what does extending the time in the brine do? Again, THANKS for the great recipe/instructions!