Skip to main content

Reply to "PICS - Bacon Cure Recipe & First Attempt!"

Sorry for my late reply, I was busy doing, um....bacon!!!!. Just got 40 pounds of pork belly back from one of my Tamworths. Amazing stuff, I'm sure your bellies look great, post some pics. By the way, what did they cost per pound?

I smoke mine in then FEC 100, as this is all I have. As low as I can get it and as long as I can until internal temp of 150. I've also smoked them twice, letting them cool completely between smokes before. Now I have the Log slide on the FEC firepot and can add a little green hickory to the smoke.

Wilber, while your recipe has enough instacure in it, I wonder if it has enough salt in it.

Ruhulman says 2.5 percent salt is the ration for dry rub, but I use about 2 percent. He also says 2 teaspoons of pink salt to 5 pounds of meat, which is slightly more than Butcher Packer recommends at 4 ounces of pink salt for 100 pounds of meat. 5 teaspoons in a ounce so 1 teaspoon to every 5 pounds of meat. Ration for Pink Salt to pork is 1 teaspoon for 5 pounds, or just like Wilber said, if you do grams.

I have 8 different recipes for bacon so far, three of which use vegetable powder in the place of the instacure and two of which just use salt and no curing agent.

I like my bacon sweeter rather than saltier, so all of them use 1.5 times as much sugar, than salt. Note, with this much sugar, you have to simmer bacon slowly in the skillet, as very high heat will caramelize that much sugar. Nitrates are suppose to turn into very unhealthy compounds over 400 degrees anyway, so it's best this way.

If you don't like bacon as sweet, just lower the sugar ration, and if your worried about carmelization, substitute trubino for some of the brown sugar.

Last edited by chaplainbill