Skip to main content

Reply to "PICS - Bacon Cure Recipe & First Attempt!"

Morning Mike, You may not be interested in my method if you plan on using pink salt to cure. I have had excellent results using Tender Quick. Although I cold smoke for approx. three days, You could certainly hot smoke.

The following is my process.

Mr. T's Sugar Cured Bacon Recipe
Recipe: Per pound of bacon.
1 TBS Morton Tender Quick
1TBS brown sugar
1/4 tsp. granulated garlic
1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper

Process:
Cut skinless belly in half and place in separate 2 gallon zip bags. Apply measured cure by weight to each cut of bacon and massage in, afterwards place in cooler or fridge. Turn daily for the entire curing process.

Example: A two inch side will require a minimum of 14 days in the cure. After the minimum cure time has been reached give it a quick rinse, pat dry then place on a meat hanger in the cooler or place on a rack in fridge for an additional two days for further equalization and pellicle formation.

A AMNPS containing pulverized pellets is then placed in a external smoke collector. This is what is normally used to create a very thin pale blue smoke. The bacon is then smoked to a desired color. It is normally in a continuous pale blue smoke for < > 72 hours and kept at a temperature below 72°. Using a different smoke generator or type of fuel will result in different times.

When smoking is complete the bacon is then placed back in the cooler for an additional 2 - 3 days for additional smoke equalization. After a total of 21 days it is ready for consumption or freezing.

The end result is nothing less than a sweet, medium smoke flavored, slice of ecstasy.

Cooking:
Due to the addition of nitrites it is recommended not to heat above 350°. For that reason, my preferred method is to bake anywhere from 200° for a couple hours to 325° for approximately 25 minutes or to the desired crispness.