Skip to main content

Reply to "PICS - Bacon Cure Recipe & First Attempt!"

quote:
Originally posted by Jay1924:
Hey Mike, what great pics and obviously a great result! I'm a novice and still quite a way from cold-smoking bacon, but please tell us the makes and models of your slicer and vac system. I have always wanted a really good slicer and yours looks amazing. I have been wary of the "consumer" models on Amazon. etc. Also, I am increasingly frustrated with my little Foodsaver. Care to share? Thanks!

Jay,
For years I fought with a ~cheap Chef's Choice slicer and decided to bite the bullet and get a good slicer. I had tried to find a good Hobart or Berkel slicer on Craig's List (they are out there), i had found them but they were so heavy I could not move them by myself (100#'s plus). I researched and looked for one that was a 12" 1/2hp belt driven. There are several out there that are pricey but not over the top. Supera, Adventco, Omcan... The Berkel's and Hobarts in this size and weight were way more than I wanted to pay. I settled on the Supera MS-12V and I am VERY HAPPY! It is still heavy at 72.4 #'s, but I can move it by myself. They make one the MS-12 that is a close 2nd at 55#'s and about $200 less.