Skip to main content

Reply to "Pretty close to saying I am sorry I bought it.... FEPG500"

SmokyRich - I would not worry too much about 1 or two posts that discuss problems with this unit, or any brand electric BBQ smoker.  There are many posts discussing issues and how to fix as well as out of the box successes up to and including food results. I belong to many forums on bbq (and some woodworking) and I see a lot of posts asking questions and that is good.  I see posts where someone says they ordered, got it and set it up, and then disappear forever. I also see those posts that show off all their smoking/grilling/flat top successes. Truly a mixed bag.  But the best posts are those where someone had a problem and the members chimed in to help and all went well. The worst are those where someone chimed in only to regurgitate an already posted probe.. That is forum life.

If you can handle the programming of the PG 500 you should be OK.  Someone else had an issue with their PG 1000 (same unit but insulated) and it turned out to be the board. Friends and CS took care of the problem.  These units are expensive which is why I do not have one. I too would like a smoker that has a charbroiled/or grill option. Just not in the cards.

Gatoeengineer64's post from AUG 2021 with suggestions is good.  Most folks are aware that with the fan blowing, some ash does blow around.  I get that on a windy day awith my Weber Kettle! Not a big deal!!  Youtube videos show this so it should  not come as  surprise to anyone doing their research.  However it would not be a bad idea for CS to let folks know that it is an occasional issue albeit a minor one, in their description. His recommendation for a variable speed auger is a swell idea. I am sure it is feasible but cost prohibitive as well. Any and all  well written, helpful suggestions need to be sent to Cook Shack; posting on the forum goes nowhere. While I am admin, I have no connection with the company except that I have the Amerique and buy my wood from them. I do contact Stuart from time to time regarding forum issues and/or owner problems.

I hope this ramble helps.  PM me if you have questions you would like to keep off the forum.

David