Skip to main content

Reply to "PX Boneless Ribeye for Christmas"

The ribeye was a great success. I trimmed it to get even appearance as one end was a bit angled; so the final product was just a bit over 12#. I decided to go with the AmQ set at 210 since I had plenty of time and could up the temp if needed. I preheated for 1 hour. Preped the meat the night before with salt and pepper; placed on rack above shallow baking pan with onions, carrots, celery & garlic with a little water.

At 6:00 am the meat went in along with a dozen jumbo eggs; then temp dropped to 130 druing the load & meat temp was 38. Took 20 minutes to get back up to 200:

Continued to monitor CS temp and meat temp as well as separate oven monitor above the meat. The CS temp read very close to the set temp of 210 most of the time, whereas the oven temp above the meat read 15-20 degrees lower and ranged between 180 and 192. At 9:00 am after 3 hours of cooking the meat was at 99 and I felt good that it would be done in plenty of time. The meat hit 125 at 10:23 (just under 4.5 hours cook time). At this time I opend the CS and removed the eggs and let the CS temp drop to the hold temp, which was set at 140; continued to monitor CS temp and meat temp, opening CS a few time to allow more heat out 'till it finally hel around 145. The meat rose to 130 during the hold.

At noon I removed the meat and let it rest a few minutes on the counter. Preheated oven to 500 and slid meat in for about 10 minutes to get a crust. Meat temp was 130 on the Mav and did not increase. Returned meat to counter to rest for about 10 minutes longer. Meat was perfect and couldn't be juicier. Heated au jus on stovetop for those wanting more cooking.

Here are the results:

As seen in image very little gray zone and the meat was very tender and juicy.

I would do it this way again. Now having a better idea on the timing I could shave up to an hours and a half off the total time. This time should work for about any size boneless ribeye.

db
Last edited by tnq