Skip to main content

Reply to "SM066 purchase"

My SM066 was bought in 2013 and is going strong. Yeah, the original probe wire sheath melted in one spot where it contacted the vent hole rim repeatedly, so I bought a redesigned replacement a couple of years ago, but I have never used the replacement since the old one still works! I replaced two of my chrome cooking grids two years ago when they became hard to get clean and got a bit rusty, with stainless grids (my personal rule is I clean everything that contacts food after every smoke). My smoker lives in an unheated garage, and I wheel it out onto the apron to use (I installed larger casters after I got the CS stainless steel storage cabinet unit for under my SM066 where I store all my wood chunks).

My SM066 produces consistently great BBQ. In the summer, I smoke 30 - 35 lbs of sockeye salmon when it is in season, and have that treat all winter. Overnight smokes for large cuts like butt or brisket are easy - start low, get lots of sleep with no worries, boost the temp in the morning, and done before dinner time. There is definitely a bit of a learning curve, but it is a fun thing!

You won't regret buying a SM066 Amerique.