Skip to main content

Reply to "Takes Longer to Reach Internal Temps"

Received this from Smokerboy, thought someone could comment I just am swamped. Little busy today finalizing the details on the Relief Cook this weekend.

quote:
Here is the information on my smoke times regarding the post where my cook times appeared to take longer than those recommended by cookshack.

5 pound pork butt:

I put in a 5 pound pork butt. Cookshack Cookbook dated 2003 indicated pork butt should have an internal temp of 190 for product to be pulled.
180 for product to be sliced. I was shooting for 190. The book recommended 225 degrees for 10 hours. At 13 hours my internal temperature was 167 and rising only a few degrees per hour. No other meat was in the smoker. I took it out at 13 hours and finished it in the oven.

Turkey Breast:

I put in a 6 pound turkey breast The decal on my smokette says 3 to 4
hours @ 225 for a whole chicken. Book says internal temperature for chicken should be 180. After 5 hours internal temp was 156 and rising less than 6 degrees per hour. I assumed a small turkey breast (6
pounds) to be about the size of a whole chicken.

I use a temp probe during cooking with an outside digital readout so the door was never opened. I checked the probe against another thermometer and they both seemed to read the same.

That is about all the information I have. Any response would be appreciated. Possibly these smoking times are not out of line. Being new to the world of smoking, I just wanted to know.