Skip to main content

Reply to "Turkey Reports - 2006"

I did 3 turkey breasts. All 3 were 8.00-8.5 lbs Honeysuckle White, no solution added. Didnt brine birds. Seperate skin. Rub with mayo under and over skin. One I rubbed with CS chicken rub. One with Durkee Smokey Mesquite St Louis rub. One with Walkerswood Jaimacan Jerk seasonings. Placed each bird in their own stainless steel wire "cone" so they all fit on 1 rack, standing up so to speak. (The cone is like a beer can chicken holder sans can) Smoked them in my 050 with 3 oz of apple chunk and 2 oz cherry chips at 250. Had a temp probe in biggest and smallest breasts. Total cook time was 2hr 15 min for 8lb bird and 2hr 30 min for 8.5 lb birds. Pulled each one at 160. Wrapped each in high temp plastic wrap and foil and cooled in fridge. All the meat was served during the last 3 days and there is just enough left for some turkey salad for lunch. They were all moist, just a hint of smoke throughout, and spices were great. We always disgard the skin too. Ive never had a need to brine a bird yet... as long as I use my Cookshack and an accurate temp probe.

Bob