Skip to main content

Reply to "Turkey Reports - 2007"

got up early and take 13 lb bird out of smokin's holiday brine after about 40 hrs. rinse, not worried about skin/cheese cloth so into cs55. already filled with hickory and pecan-didn't weigh. stick probe in-it says 180 degrees, which is obviously not correct. play with probe, no change. put bird in and set timer. will run and get another probe and insert it at the halfway mark when I flip the bird breast down. 2 hrs later flip bird, make a small mess when juices in cavity spill on back porch cement, messing with that and push shut door but forget to latch. slightly more than one hr later notice smoke coming out around door and go out and latch. I was scheduled to finish 1 hr before estimated dinner time. that makes me run about 20 min late-not to bad.(never eat on time anyway, right?) bird was at160-165 depending on where the probe was placed. good flavor, some of the inner meat seemed drier than I expected it to be. it was still good. maybe my expectations were to high. everyone said they liked the turkey and bottom line: it was good. other probe had only been used about 5-6 times?