Skip to main content

Reply to "Turkey Reports - 2007"

1: Which smoker: SMO55 - 4 oz cherry
2. Turkey Size: 21 pounds, frozen/thawed/parted out (see below)
3. Preps: Took SMOHB minus TQ, minus garlic, plus homemade 'Magic Dust' for brine..38 hours whole bird, then I parted out the bird into thigh/leg; wing; and whole breast. Air dried parts in fridge for 8 hours. Used back and made soup stock for dressing, etc. Mixture of butter and Magic Dust rubbed in generously under skin before smoking.
4. Smoker temp: pedal to the metal on the 55
5. Total Time: 4 hours
6. Comments: I put the breast high in the smoker, the thighs middle and the wings low. Thermo'd breast and thigh. Because of the large size of whole breast vs smaller thigh/leg, they were done within 20 minutes of each other! (thigh/leg done first) Was looking to get best shot at crispy skin on wings nearest smoke box, close, but no cigar. Great flavor, not ovewhelmed by smoke (which was a concern of mine). Excellent taste, moist throughout, and though I worried about the amount of soy sauce in the SMOHB it stayed well in the background and was excellent. Great stock, too! (onions and celery added during browning, then strained out along with meat after three-hour simmer).