Skip to main content

Reply to "Ventilation Concerns"

quote:
Originally posted by roach8419:
I have a 3" inch pipe coming down from the top of the shed and ending about 6" from the hole in the top of the smokette like RichH to vent the smoke. Keep in mind i did do my testing without any food so it won't get as hot loaded with food. But externally, it's pretty hot to the touch which makes me concerned about my shed catching fire. Is it reasonable for it to get this hot externally in the shed? Previous posts have said how you can hardly tell it's on by feeling the outside because they are so well insulated. I was concerned i may not have enough airflow and that was making the smoker get hotter internally than normal. I guess i can set it out of the shed and see if the internal temp of the smoker gets as hot.
As long as you have smoke ventilation out the top, shouldn't it produce smoke just the same?

I have a 3" smokestack coming out of the roof of the shed on my set up also. I have cooked at 300 degrees with the shed doors closed and have had no problems with anything overheating. My vents are just above table level on the rear of the shed, and I also have a hole in the bottom half of the shed for the electrical cord.

The exterior of the smoker does get hot, but as long as there is air space between the smoker and the shed thermal convection within the shed will prevent the shed from melting or igniting.

The temperature inside the smoker is controlled by the sensor on the back wall of the smoker and should not overheat. The controller will not call for the heat element to come on as much because the ambient temperature in the shed is so warm. So open the door on hot days and split your wood smaller.

Or, put in more and larger vents Smiler