Skip to main content

Reply to "Which cookbook ?"

FatQboy,

I have Paul Kirks Championship Barbecue book and I would not recommend it for a couple of reasons;

1. To make some of his rubs or what he calls a Barbecue seasoning requires the Baron of Barbecue's Seasoning Salt which requires 10 items. Then after you make the Seasoning Salt, you add it to 9 more items to make the final seasoning - 19 items. After making a few cups, it was not even in the same league with the rib rub that came with my CS55 or AmeriQue. In fact it wasn't even close to the two part Penzey's beef rub that was recommended by the 2 Greyhounds on this forum. Also, smokin's rub (101) is still my favorite. I have found that after adding plain salt and black pepper, three flavors are about enough to get what you want.

2. Personal - Kirk's cook book has some recipes that he states he got from other cooks and I wonder if he tried them before including them in his book? An example is a recipe from an un-named Japanese lady in a cooking class in Hawaii for Lemon-Ginger Lamb Chops. Following that recipe I ruined $32.00 worth of beautiful lamb chops. After a couple of bites we threw the chops away and boiled some brats.

I no longer use Kirk's book and find that this forum, using Cookshack equipment, gives me perfect results and I won't buy any other BBQ book either. BBQers like Tom, Dennis-UT, prisonchef (two greyhounds) smokinjoe and SmokinOkie will give you good directions and recipes and they don't fill up pages with ink.

Just my opinion, for what it is worth, Smiler

smokemullet