Skip to main content

Reply to "which wood to use..."

I smoked 4 lb. of eye of round yesterday using Hi Mountain Mandorin Teriyaki cure/spice (grandkids like jerky sweeter and not spicy). Let it set in the cure/rub for 48 hrs in the fridge. I used the GLH method to the "T" using 5 oz. of hickory and pulled the jerky after 5 hours. Let it rest in the fridge for 18 hours.

Tried some for lunch today, and it turned out quite tasty. I really can't taste the mandorin, but pick up a little teriyaki and a good amount of hickory. Half of the texture was right on while some wasn't chewy enough. More like dried meat than jerky if that makes sense. I attribute this to a break down between my butcher and me (slices were too thick). I could have left the thicker slices in the smoker longer, but still came out with pretty good results. Will make sure the butcher hits 1/4" to 3/8" next time. Will try a spicier cure/rub next time.

Thanks to GLH, Tom, Smokin', Wheelz, Dmerrell and everyone else for all the input. My family, kids, and grandkids think this whole smokin thing is great. I do too, cuz my grandkids pulled weeds for me yesterday knowing I was slaving away making a jerky they would like. Shssssshh. Don't spill the beans.

Pags