Skip to main content

Reply to "wood won't smoke"

I have had the same problem with my 025.....and my neighbor who has an 025 also is experiencing the "no smoke" syndrome. I cooked a port butt and had the meat cooking for over 14 hours. The meat was cooked and very tasty when I pulled it--but little smokey flavor. The wood was blackened but it had not burned at all. Again, same situation with my neighbor--although she was doing some ribs and only a four hour cook.

We had a long "over the fence" discussion and attributed the lack of smoke to the weather. Not sure this is the case--but it makes sense to us. The temperatures have been extremely high...95°+ with high humidity. We think that the good ol' cookshack heats up...and the wood starts to smoke. But then once it hits temperature...it says there and the electric element doesn't come on. Thus the electric element doesn't keep the wood burning. We both have had our smokers for over a year and have not had this problem before. Last summer the temperatures were pretty mild and we had no problems at all.

So...for now this is our assessment. We are hoping for things to cool down a bit so we can see if this might be the problem. Anyone else think this might be the case?--