Skip to main content

Well I finally got up the nerve to smoke some loinback ribs this weekend. We combined my dad's birthday with Mother's day and had the family over. I was real nervous about the end product since my family tends to be critical anyway. I forgot to take pics since I was helping prepare the food and getting the house cleaned and mowing grass, etc. Good thing I have a Cookshack so I didn't have too much work. Although, I will agree that ribs are much more work than PB. Here are the notes:
2 packs of loinback ribs from Sam's club (3 slabs/pack) - one weighed 10.29 lb and one weighed 9.52 lb.
Pulled membrane on each one
Rubbed with Lawry's and Rudy's rub - (had someone pick it up for me in Colorado Springs)
Used a little over 1 1/2 each of hickory and apple wood
Smoked at 225*
Checked around 3 1/2 hours - rotated shelves, toothpick tested, and spritzed with AJ and Lawler's vinegar sauce
Checked again at a little over 4 hours - had to run to the grocery for fresh corn and got in traffic
At 4 hrs - I poked them with a toothpick and spritzed again with the same two liquids - not quite done yet
Pulled one grill 30 min later to paint with sauce combination of Blues Hog Tenn Red, margarine, brown sugar, and honey
Painted the 3 on that grill and put back in smoker; pulled the other grill - (uh oh)
Noticed that the rack on the front of the bottom grill looked charred on the bottom (My stomach got real queasy)
I ran and pulled the top rack (already painted) and painted the two good racks left on the bottom rack
Foiled each rack, double wrapped in 2 stacks of 3; toweled them and placed in a heated cooler (used hot water)

Company came. We ate. Everyone loved the ribs (I didn't serve the charred ones).

The ribs tasted great, had pull off the bone texture, were juicy, and flavorful. These were the best ribs I've ever had.

Now the question is: What happened to that front rack on the bottom shelf? I'd appreciate any advice. I'm thinking about only maxing out with five slabs next time and leaving that front spot open.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I love doing the Sam's IBP loinbacks. The comp guys must have always beat me to the large packs, cause all I could get my hands on were a little under 9 lbs, oh well.

What I don't understand is I cooked on 250* for 3 hrs, rotated racks and cooked 45 minutes, cooked 30-45 minutes setting sauce.

I'm wondering how yours cooked so fast at 225*, could it be that your lower back rack was in the internal probe? This would cause the element to stay on the whole time.

The hottest place is bottom front. I always figured that the way the wood box shield is bent, it caused the heat to come out of the front side faster then the edges.

When moving shelves top to bottom, I always tried to spin them around(front to back).

Could it be that your shelves are in the notches that would allow the LBs to come into contact with the internal probe? Might check that and see if that's what caused the bottom front the extra cooking.
Cal,
I never thought about the meat touching the temp. probe. After looking at it, I bet that's what happened. I will watch for that in the future. I did take good notes and the final product was really good.

Two things I've learned about smoking ribs: 1) the toothpick doesn't lie and 2) it's done when it's done. Thanks to all of you who gave me advice without even knowing you did. The CS smoker makes smoking easy, but you all make it even easier.
It's been awhile since posting this topic. I've learned a lot about smoking since those days. Still learning more each day. The reason I'm posting here is to let everyone know that I figured out this problem. The rear rack of ribs were touching the probe and causing the element to stay hot. Looking as much as I was doing probably saved the ribs from burning.

The best news is that I've learned what ribs my family likes to eat. Nothing like the first ones I posted about here. Now we like St. Louis cut. Simple rub. Cook hot at 275 until the toothpick says stop. Spray with lots of AJ while cooking. Sauce served on the side but rarely used. I never thought that would be the case but that's how we like them.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.