Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

From BBSearch, by Jackitup:

quote:
Posted by Jackitup on February 15, 2004 at 22:36:14:

All done and everything came out great. Figured out to 475# of sausage and price total was $467.00, so roughly a buck per lb. and $155.00 apiece, and that included $45 for beer and booze and $20 for propane for heating the garage, got to -15 degrees last nite so kept a propane heater going on low to keep the garage about 35 deg or so. Triple wrapped everything in Reynolds plastic wrap. Kept some italian in bulk for doing spagetti and chili and stuff. Smoker worked great. Cold smoked using an electric charcoal starter slid in the bottom of and old ammo box and dumped a 1 gallon ice cream tub full of hickory sawdust and covered with tin foil to keep it from flaming up. Worked perfect, each one lasted for 1.5 hours and then we dumped them in large tubs and reloaded the smoker again. Smoker has 10 18x26" racks so it holds about 320 brats per load. Smoker never got over 35-40 degrees. After 1.5 hours of smoke on the 1st load we nuked one to sample and we all thought more than enough smoke. Basically went in and out raw, figure that good color can happen when they're grilled, tasted great. Ramm-master water stuffer worked fantastic. I ran that while my 2 buddies ran the enterpise crank stuffer. Would have got done earlierFriday(6am)but somebody kept passing that damn booze bottle around and of course had to wash it down with more beer~~~
Meat mixer will be going back to Northern Tool, it was as much work as hand mixing, kind of a pain. We'll just have to wait for a good deal on a motorized one. Also kept 40# of the the bulk meat unseasoned for future experimenting with some other recipes. On the brats we did smoked italian, polish, and maple wild rice with the polish seasoning. Sat. nite the nieghbor had a birthday party for his 1 year old boy and had 30-40 guests so I took some samples over and they all but vanished in about 30 sec. big hit. Anyway I just thought I'd share the weekends sausage doings and now I'll stop rambling
Hope everyone had a great weekend in the smoke
Jon

Hi Russ,
Thanks for your vote of confidence on the sausage making. I don't know if I'm the most qualified for helping with something like this but for within the parameters of what I make I think I do a good job. I'm sure I could come up with a few ideas that should help ourt some just getting started on sausage making. God knows I've made several thousand pounds of the stuff over the years and have come up with a few tricks and stepped in my share o holes. Given a couple of months, time allowing I could come up with a blow by blow of how we do our stuff. Email me with any details you want to work out.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.