Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You would think so Woodburner, but no dice. barbqr was closer.... It was not a pile of mush, but very tender and extremely juicy!

For kicks, I took a knife and tried to slice the flat... huh uh, no way, but it was not much different than trying to slice one that has reach 200 degree... texture was still good... We just pulled it and then chopped into one inch pieces...

As long as you stop the cooking process between 190 and 200, the briskets will hold at 140 at least 15 more hours.....

I have also been working on the bark problem, or the lack there of. It seems the highest temp is 300, so I cooked my last batch of brisket at 300 for 3 hours, then reduced to 225 and cooked until internal reached 190 on my remote probe..... Bark is much better and the rest didn't seem to be any different...

What do you think about this, Smokin???

CaterGreat

------------------
"it's done when it's been held for 15 hours!"
Sorry I didn't see the post earlier.

Glad you posted this in the "Advanced" forum. I've certainly heard many discussion about cooking briskets and butts at higher temps to affect the bark.

Some good comments here. What you did was effectively create "burnt ends". That comes from cooking for really long times.

Given that the cookshack holds the moisture better than other conventional smoker, there is a lot of forgiveness in "overcooks" like this. I can imagine in a normal smoker the brisket would have to dry out after that long, wouldn't you think?

Wouldn't recommend this for the average person. The brisket collagen has to have time to break down, if you cook it longer at higher temps, it can over cook very fast.

Want to see more topics like this. How do we "push the envelope" of the Cookshack? I can do most of this Q stuff in my sleep and I STILL don't know enough...always fun to experiment and learn.

Keep 'em coming boys!

Smokin'
You need to read my post again, Smokin.

I am not talking about cooking the briskets at higher temperatures the whole time. Just the first 3 hours. Then I reduce to 225. It takes another 6 - 8 hours to reach the proper internal temp.

In the case of the accidental brisket, it was held at 140, it was not over cooked, just over held. My experience would say that holding at 140 would reak havoc on broccoli, but not on meats... As long as you didnt over cook initially....

While I don't recommend the practice of forgetting briskets for 15 hours at 140, I thought showing you the results after an error would show the advantage of a cookshack!.

To answer your question, I think that other holding methods other than the cookshack would have been less desirable.

------------------
"it's done when it's been held for 15 hours!"
Now Cater...

... I did read the post. My point was, if you tell someone other than 225, they're going to get confused, and I didn't try to repeat all of your post.

Great idea. Would be interesting to do some of this experimenting. Guess you can when you cook as many briskets as you do.

Smokin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.