Skip to main content

My new fec120 was delivered Monday, 9/16. I was so excited and did a test run of a couple racks of Baby Backs that night. Turned out great.

I purchased the 120  to cook for a fund raiser to raise money for repairs to an old community center. That’s what I told my wife anyway.

I’ve had several fec smokers including a fec750 and are accustomed to large cooks. My mission was to cook 270# of butts and 80 racks of baby backs in two days.

The five rib racks that I ordered didn’t get delivered until Thursday, the night before the cook. Guess what. They shipped the wrong model and the ones they sent stuck out of the door 3”.  Only thing that saved me was getting a buddy to bring his smoker and cook 40 of the racks (actually I had him cook 50 to not crowd my smoker.

The 120 and the preset settings performed perfectly. The 2nd night I set the cook temp for the butts.  @ 270 instead of my usual 250. The butts could have cooked a little more to have been perfect but I was on a schedule and didn’t have the time. All in all it was a successful mission.

Only one complaint. There should be at least 1/2” more clearance between the racks. When opening or closing with large butts, the upper rack would scrape off the rub/bark. I also didn’t like the way the butts on a lower shelf touched the butts on the upper shelves.

One cook suggestion. Even with the convection fan you must rotate, at least, the top rack with a lower one or you will burn what ever is in the back right corner on the top rack. I rotated the 1st and 3rd rack. Worked fine.

Thanks Cook Shack for another great smoker  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.