Skip to main content

So a topic over the years is always asked, but I don't think I've really stated a good response to another of the ETERNAL QUESTIONS:

Can I brine an Enhanced Bird?

I've posted in a few forums, but thought I'd put it here so we could collect information, experience and answer any questions.

There has been a lot of discussion over the years about right/wrong and like so many things, people will have their personal preference.

Here's my take. Sorry it's long, just trying to talk a little food science and educate.

It will work, but....

Keep in mind, what makes brining work is Osmosis.

Osmosis is the passage of water (or salt water for brining purposes) from a region of high water concentration through a semi-permeable membrane to a region of low water concentration

Because whatever we're brining has a low water concentration (meat) that is what drives brining to do as well. One factor that affects it's efficiency appears to be the salinity.

The salinity inside will be XX% and the brine will be XX% (numbers will vary) thus determining which region has higher water concentration. Osmosis means as long as the % inside is lower than the outside, then the brine (outside) will exchange with the solution inside. You can't just soak an item in a tub of water and it takes on the water, because the salinity/solution inside the bird has to be less than the salinity/solution outside the bird (brine).

So, with that logic, if the enhanced bird is already saturated, it CAN'T take on anything from the brine because it won't accept something from the lower percentage of the brine.

If the enhanced bird has a lower percentage and the brine has a higher, then the brine will work. But if it's concentration is high, then likely the brine won't really have an effect at all, as the bird is already saturated (especially on the highly enhanced birds)

The only thing I've not been able to determine is the % of salinity in the brine and the bird, and the true impact, but talking with food scientists, they tell me the above two cases are "supposed" to work. So I have't come up with an exact point where you should/shouldn't brine an enhanced bird.

For me.

I've experimented a lot and if it's 15% or less, I'll brine it normal. Same time, same solution, same flavors. Family and friends haven't found any issue with normal brine times, affects on texture or taste.

Over 15% I'd say don't by the bird at all and don't brine, you're paying for a LOT of liquid. You may think it's cheaper, but look at the real costs. Now, what I'd really like to find out is if you can decrease the salinity of an enhanced bird (say a 25%) by soaking it in water and drawing out some, but that's a test for another day.

What I usually recommend is to practice. I've tried to research, test, talk, as much as I can about brining and create a spot with as much info and then let you decide. Personally, a lot of people talk bad about brining but don't understand the science part of it but they're 100% correct, if it doesn't work for them, that's okay.

NEVER wait until the big day to do your first bird. Get one, try it and see how it works for you. The prices are relatively cheap. Shoot, I'm doing one this weekend for practice/testing.

Question: Have any of you brined an enhanced bird, what was your take?

Smokin'
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Seems like all the birds I buy from the store are always enhanced with something (Honeysuckle White, etc) all seemed enhanced someway. But, I never cook a bird unless I brine it first for at least 18-36 hrs. Ever since my first brine, I have never had a bird that was more moist whether smoked, fried, etc.

To me it's a no-brainer... brining makes it so much better!!

Stu
Stu's Q BBQ
The best chicken I have done in the last two years are Purdue Roasters that I get at Walmart. According to the label they contain a solution of 12% chicken broth and other crap that I can't recall now. I butterfly these and brine for about 6 or 7 hrs. As I said they are the best chicken that we have ever had. This is not an endorsement of Purdue nor of Walmart but rather an example of how home brining usually helps poultry that has already been injected at the bird factory.
My wife was able to find a Butterball that is 5% added water (no mention of anything else...). I'm hoping that the discussion above that it's the salinity of the brine that has the most effect will allow the brine to exchange with the extra water already in the turkey.

Going to try cutting it into pieces first, then brining for 24 hours with J Appledog's recipe. I've never smoked the turkey in pieces before, but figure it will be far easier to take the breast out when it reaches 160-165 and then leave the thighs/legs in until 175 if they need more time.
quote:
Originally posted by bradtri:
My wife was able to find a Butterball that is 5% added water (no mention of anything else...). I'm hoping that the discussion above that it's the salinity of the brine that has the most effect will allow the brine to exchange with the extra water already in the turkey.

You'll be fine.

I've never had a problem with the dark being done, but "some" people like to cook dark to about 180 or even 185 to get it a little more tender.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.