Skip to main content

Okay, looking for some thoughts.

Haven't really found an injection that I "love" to make a cajun turkey a cajun turkey. The commercial stuff has too much other stuff and just doesn't give it the flavor I need. The flavors don't seem to dissipate very well.

I'm contemplating a "cajun brine" but I need to think that one through.

Help me come up with a cajun spicey turkey.

Thanks for the help.

FYI, I'm not doing this until Sunday when I'm cooking.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I guess you've used Scotty's butter injection.

All my "coonass" relatives use Chef Williams and add some Tony Chachere's,or Cookshack Chicken Rub.

Chef Paul's Poultry seasoning, in the large cans,is what we buy.

We buy the injection in the 1/2 gallons at Sam's Club in New Orleans.

Six bottle case is a great price.

Comes with rub packets attacted.

Matter of fact ,I shot our birds up this afternoon,to go on the cooker late tomorrow morning.

We like an andouille dressing as a side.

Andouille Dressing

Turkey injections.

Hope this helps a little and you and the missus have a happy turkey day.
Okay, no replies, so here's what I extracted, changed, added, modified from a number of various recipes out there.

Any thoughts, I'm still debating how much "how stuff" to put in here since some/lot of it will tend to dissipate as it cooks?

Smokin Okie's Cajun Turkey Injection

• 1 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup liquid crab boil
  • 3 tablespoons
  • 3 tablespoons CS Spicy Chicken
  • 2 tablespoons onion powder
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
  • 1 tablespoon White Pepper
Shoot--That will be interesting. I did Scottys Creole butter with mine. Shot him up last night and again this morning and just put him in. I also used the CS Chicken Rub. Fiance has two turkey breast in the oven at her place...so, it should all be a good blend.
I am interested in hearing how yours does.
I also want to thank you Okie and all of the other folks here for being so forthcoming with info....I mean that. I frequent alot of music sites and this site seems to be the most accomodating.
You could replace the Cookshack Spicy Chicken rub with Emeril's Essence or Tony's. Seems most cajun recipes I use call for 3 peppers: black, white, and cayenne.

Baste with butter and a little cayenne hot sauce--not so much hot sauce that it tastes like buffalo wings, though. Then sprinkle with essence.

I like the path you're heading down. I volunteer for quality control.
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis-UT:
You could replace the Cookshack Spicy Chicken rub with Emeril's Essence or Tony's. I like the path you're heading down. I volunteer for quality control.

Um, let's just say that CS and Tony's are REAL close and since a get a good deal on CS... Big Grin

Thanks for the 3 pepper reminder.

And I haven't decided on the Pepper Sauce route. I have some Habanero Sauce that I use for flavoring and it only take a drop or two, but works Real Good in sauces.
The 1/2 gals and six bottle case is for the injection.

We used the roasted garlic with herbs this time ,as well as CS Chicken Rub,and are still getting rave reviews.

I don't know if the bird freezes and remains as moist as a full brine,but it sure eats well.

We like to freeze extra half breasts after smokin and enjoy a couple weeks later.

Your brine might make them better than fresh!

BTW Smokin',I've turned some comp cooks onto your Brining 101 and fear we have created monsters.

Sometimes,you wonder about helping friends/close competitors out. Big Grin
Votes are in and they want to keep the recipe. Did not need ANY more heat.

When everyone left they wanted to take that home, so guess it's a keeper.

Like damar said, I knew the crab boil would add heat.

My only thoughts are that the butter doesn't dissipate into the meat well enough and you do have "spots" where it stays, but I made sure to inject very little in lots of spots and NOT a lot of stuff in little spots.

Next time, I'm going to make a brine with crab boil and see how that works... hmmm???
A thought SmokinOkie.... Have ya ever used the dry crab boil mix from Zatarain. I boil potatoes and corn on the cob in a 2 quart pot, I use 2 tablespoons and some folks say that is hot for them. How about adding a half cup to a gallon of your Holiday Brine? I don't think it would effect the salt content of your brine as much as it would add heat and flavor in that fashion. You don't taste anything salty in the corn or potatoes. I buy this stuff in a 4.5 pound plastic jug.
What size bottle are ya thinking about? The 16 ounce or the little 3 or 4 ounce bottle? I will try the dry stuff in a turkey for Christmas. I have a nephew like Mikey, he'll eat anything and he loves the hot stuff if it is too much. Do you actually taste your brines to see about flavor? I do that when boiling peanuts, but when I have a tried and true recipe, I just take it for granted that it will be good. If you need some dry crab boil, let me know.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.