Skip to main content

I know, I know there are tons of Videos out on the internet.

I'm taking photos and working on an update to Ribs 101 so I have some photos.

NOTE: The MOST important things about doing this; 1) use a sharp knife 2) don't be afraid, just cut away and save yourself the cost of the butcher doing it and 3) use a REALLY sharp knife

Here are three photos

First, This is a view of a full Spare Rack, almost 6lbs and a trimmed rack, about 3.75 lbs

This photo shows where you need to make your cut.

For cutting there are two simple methods.

Method one. Look at the photo and just above the word in the photo, you'll see a white line of fat, running left to right. Cut along this line, but keep in mine you want to finish up with straight cuts. Straight left to right. The goal is to finish with a rack that looks like the top.

This photo shows the 2nd method, the more traditional. The idea hear is to turn it over and make two cuts.

Cut one along the left is to remove the sternum bone.
Cut two is to use your finger and find the top of the longest bone, it's usually about 2 or 3 bones in. Make you cut perpendicular to the longest bone. NOTE: This won't be along the fat line, it's actually just a little below the fat line

That's it. A little practice and you'll get to where you can cut a great looking rectangular slab of St. Louis Spares.

Questions?

1. What to do with the trimmings. You can save them and grind the meat up for sausage, you can smoke them up for cooks treats you can throw them away. If you figure out the price per pd of trimmed ribs from the butcher vs one you do yourself, you can throw away the trimmings and still typically beat the butchers inflated prices.

2. What about the skirt flap on the back. I trim it off. Typically it doesn't cook up the best and I don't like the texture of it. You don't HAVE to trim off.

So, here are some photos, ask away, that way I'll know what else to add to the instructions when I put it in Ribs 101.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great pics. It is helpful to see it laid out that way, and close up.

I've been cutting like your third picture, along a line equal to the longest bone, but without making the sternum cut. What's the benefit of trimming off the sternum like that before you trim at the top of the longest bone? Or, what is the effect if you don't?

As for the skirt, I cut it off and cook it. I might nibble on a bit of it, but I also don't think it has very good texture or taste. It's worth cooking it though, because my dogs love it.
quote:
Originally posted by SkipQ:
... What's the benefit of trimming off the sternum like that before you trim at the top of the longest bone? Or, what is the effect if you don't?

I don't think it cooks up at the same rate and I've never liked the way it cooks up even when it does. It's mostly bone.

No effect. Plenty of people cook the full slab with zero trimming.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
Thanks Smokin', but I do have a question. How much of the fat that is left on the ribs do you touch up?

Good question. I'll trim the fat off, there is toooooo much of it.

Then I look at it.

If it's worth keeping (depending on how much meat was under the fat) OR I'll trim it off completely and trash it.

It's not a requirement either way, just a personal preference.
quote:
1. What to do with the trimmings. You can save them and grind the meat up for sausage, you can smoke them up for cooks treats you can throw them away. If you figure out the price per pd of trimmed ribs from the butcher vs one you do yourself, you can throw away the trimmings and still typically beat the butchers inflated prices.

Myself, I like to keep the trimmings. Excess fat is used for sausages and the "rib tips" are cut up into bite sized pieces. I mix up some sweet and sour sauce (basically ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, onions, bell peppers, pineapple chunks with the juice, garlic) and either simmer on the stove or braise in the oven until tender. Makes a great appetizer for a group, or even dinner with white rice and veges on the side. Local bbq joints smoke em then put them in a pool of bbq sauce. Not the most elegant thing to eat since you take a bite and spit out the cartilage, but it sure tastes good.
Smiler

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.