Skip to main content

16 Boston Butts, that's what my brother just bought. Sounds like the south end of a northbound New England basketball team.

And, he rented a huge smoker on wheels. A tank, 4 feet in diameter, 8 feet long. Doors on both sides. No offset. The grills are right over the coals.

This is a fund raiser, but my brother ain't no Jim Minion! What to do?

In that situation, do you push the coals to one side of the smoker, and keep the meat over on the other? Seems like that would let you tend the fire from one set of doors, and the meat from the other set of doors. And, it would offset the meat a little, so it won't cook so dang fast.

I'll try to persude him to at least marinate some of those hunks.

Am doubtful about the outcome, friends.
Confused
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Where is the smoke stack. Put coals on other end and cook like and offset, you will need to rotate the meat quite often to make it work.
If the stack is in the middle put half the coals on each end and cook in the center. You will need to rotate the meat a loyt with this method also.
Fire control is the name of the game.
Let us know how it turns out.
Jim
quote:
Where is the smoke stack.

I just checked the beast. One little stack at each end of the chamber.

I'm inclined to build the fire at one end, put the flesh the other. Talked to Big Jim, a local Q-man. He prefers offset, indirect, but suggested the above as a solution.

But --- get this --- my sister-in-law is going to fight me. She says go ahead and cook over direct heat. Cook hot and fast, not low and slow. And it's her party!

Oh lordy, this might get tough. Roll Eyes
It all worked out. Raised 5K in silent auctions. The pig was fine.

Forced the relatives to start smoking early, and use indirect heat.

Result? Multiple orgasms.

And somebody made baked beans, cole slaw, and pecan pies.

And there was a blues guitar man. I told him about my new song: "The BBQ Blues"
Goes like this. " I had a girl in Memphis.
She had a Boston butt."

Then, I get lost on the lyrics. Something about rubbing the butt with too much chili pepper. Any ideas out there? How to finish the song? CS Chicken Rub to the best solution. Thx. i2bbq.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.