Skip to main content

Cooked my 2nd butt today. Actually started yesterday and finished this morning. 8 lbs. took 15 hours to cook to 190. Had it for dinner tonight at the in-laws. So far both sides of the family have tried it and both sides love it. The fish has also been great. This is 2 much fun. Why did I wait so long?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ive been very happy with butts so far also. Not so happy about ribs and chicken yet...

Chicken skin was so rubbery it was scary. Ribs have been "ok" but not the presentation quality yet and slightly bitter even though Im now using very very little wood. Im still experimenting on that.

david
I did something different this last time with my yardbird.. instead of running the temp way up to 225�.. I put it at 200�, only because I had to get it on.. be gone for a few hours.. like until 2 hrs before dinner.. so, I put it on at 11:30A and pulled it at 5:30P.. To my surprise, the skin, while not crispy, was far from rubbery.. very edible. I don't know if this was an outlier.. but, I'm going to try it again. BTW, the bird was not dry either.
I use boneless, skinless chicken thighs from Costco so I don't have to worry about the skin. Also, the label says they are minimally processed so they have not been injected with a water/salt solution. I am going to be doing a large BBQ this summer (50 people or so) and plan on doing legs and thighs with the skin on. I am going to put them under the broiler to crisp them up before serving.

Matt
One of the keys to skin is separating it from the chicken. Try an experiment. Leaving the skin on, run your hand under the skin carefully, to separate it from the meat below. That tends to allow the heat to get under the skin.

Two pieces of chicken, one smoked without separating and one with, will come out different.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.