Skip to main content

Hi, I have 20 racks of back ribs that have to be delivered to the customer by 5 oclock, which means I need them ready for no later than 4:00.
I`m cooking on a fec-100 and have two rib racks.
Now here is the kicker, the customer supplied the ribs and although they are nice, many of them are very different in size.
With two ribs racks that will hold ten ribs per rack, and two other racks, how would you go about putting them in the cooker?
Also, what times/tamps would you shoot for?, what time would you put them on etc
Any tips would be sppreciated........
Thanks Very much/
Mop
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just cooked a load of 18 racks a week ago. I loaded up two rib racks with nine racks each. Put them in the two bottom slots and set the temp for 250. That is a bit higher than I usually cook but with that much meat, it helps to keep the temp up in the FEC.

Then after 1 1/2 hours, I rotate the racks and spin them 180 degrees. Then after another 1 1/2 hours, I take the racks and place them in full size four inch deep foil pans. When I do this, I cut them into whatever size portion I plan on serving. For example, this last batch was cut into three rack pieces. You can also leave them whole if you like. Put some apple juice and sauce in with them and foil the top. Place back in smoker for hour to hour and a half until they are tender. If you are looking for show, leave the sauce off and leave them whole. Then when they are done, sauce and finish them either in the FEC or on a charcoal grill.

Please know that these ribs are close to falling off the bone tender but that is what this particular group of people likes. And they were the ones paying for it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.