Skip to main content

1) What is the best way to load an FEC 500 / 750 for maximum capacity with St. Louis cut ribs? Do you load them parallel with the shelf (probably 2 wide, 6 per shelf on a 750), or can you load them perpendicular to the shelf, letting a couple inches of slab hang off each side? I'm guessing here, but I think the average St. Louis cut slab is about 16" long.

2) Have you ever had an issue with your shelves catching on the left hand side and temporarily "hanging up" (before rotating around enough to swing free) if your smoker isn't perfectly level?

3) Probably a dumb question--is it okay to tow a trailer mounted FEC in the rain?

Thanks alot guys.

John
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The way to get the most ribs on the unit is to angle them on the shelves so they hang slightly over the edges.

The shelves can catch if the unit is tilted to the left.

I have towed a 500 in the rain several times and only had problems once. That time I drove through a bad thunder strom and rain was being driven by the wind directly into the contoller side of the unit. When I got to the contest the unit wouldn't work. I opened up the rotiesserie cabinet and dried off the board and everything worked great.
Stuart, thanks for your help.

Just a followup to my original questions:

1) I was able to put 105 St. Louis cut ribs on my smoker at once (7 per shelf, angled as Stuart described). I believe that I could have possible squeezed another 10-15 slabs on the smoker by splitting one slab in half and placing the halves in the space created on each end by the angled whole slabs.

2) I bought a 4 foot long construction level that I now keep with the smoker, and placed leveling jacks on the two back corners of my trailer. This allows me to adjust the angle to make sure that the left side is slightly higher than the right.

Thanks again!

John

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.