Skip to main content

Hi...

I just purchased a model 50... pretty excited! I researched smokers like crazy and really appreciated this forum. What impressed me the most were all the people upgrading from an 8 or 9 to something larger. They must like the smoker!

My only concern now is that it is too big! (ha ha) I usually will only cook for two.. but thought the larger size would be better than the smokette... just in case a crowd appeared. Is there any problem with a small load in the 50? Instead of 15 birds can I cook just 1 or two?

Give me a break guys.. I am trying to loose weight but am not on the Atkins diet! If I started filling the smoker up... then I would have to buy a larger freezer as well!

Now I have to start finding meat to fill it up. I am such a "Q" beginer... I don't really know what "pulled pork" is all about! (seriously). My only "Q" experience has been with the "Little Chief". So.. really nothing to compare to the Cookshack.

I decided on the 50 over the 55... It seemed the black powder coat was holding up great from all the posted comments.. and the 50 is already over my budget. I could not see spending the extra for the 55. I hope that was not a mistake. But I did read that ribs taste better in a 55!

I am hoping to smoke lots of fish... and will try to sample all the other good stuff. Be patient with me if I ask silly questions.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Do you have it yet?

John, you'll actually find the larger one works great. Why?

After the help you get from the forum, you'll be REAL popular with your friends and find yourself cooking more.

Hardest part is finding the right meats (like brisket flat vs brisket packer) we can help with the rest.

Pork Butts, easiest thing out there.

Welcome and enjoy.

Smokin'
John,

Welcome to the forum and especially the family of CS owners!!! I, also have a CS50 for the same reason, did not want to spend the extra $ for the 55. Also like you, most of the time I am cooking for 2, but wanted the additional cook space for the parties, etc. Since they are both SS inside they both cook exactly the same. The ribs, or anything else, are no better in the 55 than in the 50. That job is the cook's!!! Like Tom said, the temp inside the cooker will be a little more stable with a larger load, but in my experience, the temp swings discussed in other threads is mostly a none issue for most of the smoking you will do.

Good luck, have fun and most of all, eat well!!! Smiler
John, I started with a Lil' Chief and then went on to build my own out of ply and sheetmetal. I left the home made one on the coast with friends.

I bought an 008 a couple of years ago and love it.. My only complaints are that the powder coat is not holding up on the locking flange and the electroplating did not hold up long on the grates. Other than that.. it's great.

That said, I'll likely be upgrading to the A'que once it is finally released. Not sure if I'll keep the 008 or not.
John,
I echo what the others have said. I have a larger smoker(250) so I can do bacons and jowls at butchering time but the unit works fine on small batches. I have done as few as two or three butts and the quality is not affected. Last week I did three small wild hogs in one cook and the next day did a single turkey.(the best of both worlds). My unit has a probe which helps allot because your cook time may fluctuate with the size of the load.
Thanks for the responses. I don't have my smoker yet.. probably by next week. Are all the newbie's this excited!

I just went on a fishing trip today... we caught a limit and I got to keep 4 of the fish. The trout average about 9 lbs. They are "triploids".. or rainbows that cannot reproduce. (Not sure why). Because of that, all of their energy goes into eating so they get up to 25lbs. (We only got the small ones!) So.. that may be my first "Q". I will let you know how it goes.
This is my first post, and I could use some help.

I've been smoking for years on my Weber Kettle grill with pretty good success. I also have a Weber Summit gas grill for quick weeknight use.
However, now it's time to get serious, and move to a real smoker. Based on my research, the Cookshack seems to be the way to go. I originally thought about competitions, that's not an option. My question, assuming that money is not an issue, do I get an FM55, FM 75, or an FEC 100? Something else? Thanks!
Bluesman 55,
It really depends on what you want. I think you will find that most folks here agree that if it is a CS or FEC, it is top notch and you iwll not be disappointed. You just have to decide what your priorities are and how large a volume you need to cook. The temp range is the major factor for most cookers, I for instance, wanted a cooker that I could set down to 120 or 130 degrees. The FEC don't go that low.
You might want to start a new thread since you're guilty of threadjacking and your question is different than the original postWink

quote:
Originally posted by muleman1:
[qb] The FEC don't go that low. [/qb]
Well...not so fast.

CS announce yesterday that the new FE's will have the smart controller which is the electronic unit that you set any temp digitally. I'm thinking, but don't know for sure, but it will go lower than it did before, I just don't know "how" low. But you only need to go that low if you're cold smoking, or possibly some sausages.

You right the competition is not an option Wink

I'd go with the FE. While it is substantially higher in price than the small electrics, you have more options. The most important one is higher temps. 2nd would be higher capacity. I do lots of things in the 300+ range and the electrics don't go that high. Chicken, turkey, Prime rib. Can you do those in the smaller ones? Certainly.

I always ask folks who can't decide:

1. What will this be used for, how many people might you want to cook for

2. What will you be cooking, and how much. Will you be cold smoking or other low temps?

If you're planning on doing any catering on the side or large functions, the smaller ones won't work.

Hope that helps. OH, and welcome to the forum Big Grin
Nah, it's not that bad. Did you read my response about which smoker. You only comment on a posting comment.

As I explain occassionally, when you post in another thread then the topic can easily be found. Someone looking for which smoker to buy probably won't look in a thread "50 too large".

No worries, saw you were new to the forum.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.