Skip to main content

I was asked (again) this year to make my famous BBQ smoked baked beans for our annual company Christmas party. The rest of the food is being catered, here's the menu.

Date: 12/12 at ~12:00 in room 1007
What : Red Hot and Blue (Pork, Brisket, Chicken, Sausage, Mild Sauce, Cole Slaw, Mashed Potatoes, Potato Salad and a vegetarian dish)

Price - $10

Dummy me, I thought yesterday was the 8th or 9th and my only weekend to smoke my beans. So I smoked my beans yesterday for 5 hours in an old log burner, problem is, it's not until 8 days from now!!! Arg!!! this batch turned out great too!! I don't know if I can freeze them and have them NOT come out mushy, or maybe I should just make another batch?????

My beans have one lb of bacon in it along with some pineapple chunks (secret ingrediant).

Right now they're in a HUGE crockpot in the fridge out in the garage. Should I freeze them? or make another batch??

thanks

dan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yup, you can freeze the beans. They will never be as good as non-froze though.

Be careful with the cooling/reheating of beans though. There are enzymes present which for reasons I'm not allowed to divulge (OK, don't remember) are especially susceptible to fostering the growth of S. Typhimurium or Enteritidis. Everybody is very careful with cooling and reheating meats (right?) but sometimes the beans get overlooked. All it takes is once.
quote:
Originally posted by Kinsman:
Yup, you can freeze the beans. They will never be as good as non-froze though.

Be careful with the cooling/reheating of beans though. There are enzymes present which for reasons I'm not allowed to divulge (OK, don't remember) are especially susceptible to fostering the growth of S. Typhimurium or Enteritidis. Everybody is very careful with cooling and reheating meats (right?) but sometimes the beans get overlooked. All it takes is once.

Are you saying if beans are thawed and then reheated in a crockpot dangerous??

I just had our annual Christmas party today and the batch I smoked this past Sunday was cleaned out. The backup batch that was frozen, then allowed to thaw in the fridge was heated in a crockpot, but now placed back in the frige. Are you saying this 2nd batch could be dangerous... If it is I'd like to dump them out before leaving work today....

dan

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.