Skip to main content

Can anyone provide their experiences achieving higher temperatures in their FEC-100 units. I have tried getting the unit to achieve temperatures in the 375 range and I don't believe my FEC-100 has ever been able to hit that and I've allowed it a reasonable amount of time to get there. My unit is only about 1 year old and is awesome generally, but it struggles to get to even the 280 - 200 degree range. I wonder what the problem is? I plan to do a Prime Rib later today and want to be able to get that higher temperature in the FEC to sear the meat but that won't happen if I can't hit that temperature and I'd hate to have to use a regular oven.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've pushed mine to 375 for chicken thighs and the high limit sensor shut it down. Was able to run at 325-350 several times without an issue.

My suggestion would be for an initial temp setting of 275. Once it starts, spikes and stabilizes at 275, bump it up 25o, wait 15 minutes and repeat. Given the temp swings of new pellets dropping into the fire pot, I'd suggest a max temp of 325, which should be fine for Prime Rib.

If you can't achieve 300, something's amiss. Check to make sure your temp probe is clean. Like EZ said, what type of pellets are you using?

Good luck.
Can you clarify.

Your first post says high temps, then the second one say 280.

What's the issue, getting to 280? 20 min is normal so I wouldn't classify that as a struggle. Does it hold/maintain 280?

What's the highest you can get it to?

Like Mountain Main said, where are you located? What pellets are you using?

If it's higher, 375, what pellets are you using. BTU's matter (brand) so don't use ANY Traeger).

Could even be a fan issue, not blowing enough air.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.