Skip to main content

Ok guys, so I finally gave in (in search of sleep) and became a pellet head by purchasing a FE 100. I've been cooking on my Lang 60 and having good success in competitions. I fired up the FE the other night for a test run and cooked ribs and brisket using my same methods as on my Lang.....the food was on the verge of inedible! Basic 224* 3-1-1 method on ribs and 1 hr 15min per pound on brisket. The smoker seemed to have a really dry heat. I was so disappointed. The ribs were hammy and the brisket like leather. I know I have to get use to it but what are some tips you all can give me to get me moving in the right direction?.....I cooked in a competition last night on my Lang and finished second in butts...lead me to the winners circle using the FE! Thanks in advance, love the CS forums!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Moved this thread to the Fe forums.

Welcome.

Need a LOT more details.

Hammy isn't a function of the smoker, it's a function of the rib and the rub (usually salted overnight or enhanced ribs).

Are you cooking on time alone? Shame on you. Never cook in a new cooker on time, you have to learn the methods of it.

I've won a LOT of $$$$ on the circuit and others have two with ribs in an FE, so it's a great rib cooker.

Tell us:

what pellets (flavor and brand)
What times
what temps
Prep methods (that you can share)

What exactly you're seeing that you want help on.

I would also suggest verify the temp inside the smoker with a separate therm. They usually are spot on, very stable, but if it's a new one, I always say check.

We'll help.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.