Skip to main content

Hello to all. I was wondering if anyone has used the FEC100 for servicing a concession trailer. I would like to know if it is capable of handling a large crowd (200-500) people. I am interested in selling pulled pork and ribs. So any info on this would be appreciated. Also can it with stand being driven around, I will be doing a fair amount of traveling with this unit. It will be in a permanently mounted inside the trailer.
Thanks, Cousin Belly
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Go to the main forum page and go down to the "pros" forum. Several people do just that. Prisonchef has on mounted in a trailer, with all the equipment with Health Dept Approval.

Welcome to the group. The Pro forum is for professionals and other with questions just like yours.

There are some here in the FE forum, but it's better to ask over there.
freebird,
want some cheese with that whine??!! Roll Eyes
just kidding!!!
belly-- after 2 years of hard use the shear pin gave up in my fec. if you have seen the pics of our rig. the only way to move the fec was with timbers and a floor jack since the rear legs on my fec had to be modified to clear the wheel wells. above i had 1/8" of an inch clearance for the coped out section of my hood system. now any thinking guy has to ask "why in the heck would you mount an fec like that?" the answer is simple. they are just that reliable and the work required to replace the shear pin is worth it when you know your equipment is just that good.
jack
Cousin Belly,
Tell your family in St. Augustine to come try our BBQ at the Old City Farmers' Market on Saturday mornings. Jack and I are there from 8:30 am until 12:30 pm.
Our BBQ is all cooked on the SM150 or the FEC100, so you can get feedback from them.
Peggy and Jack
2 Greyhounds SMOKIN!!!!
belly,
i know this may sound crazy but if you could add an sm150 you can triple the fec100 output by rotational cooking. you can bring your meat up to temp in the 150 and finish in the fec using your steam table for holding. that was the technique we used for the superbowl here last year on wings(darn glad i listened to peg on that one. didn't want to do it but sold 3 cases of wings and got 2nd in the contest. buried hooters and everyone except south beach grill) worked like a charm but you will need a good dance partner since that is about 6 servings a miunte but peg dances great and my background is conventions with full plated dinners. final count for that one was appx 2k people but that did include pulled pork and turkey breast. event duration was 6 hours. with a little planning pork could go the same way.
jack
Cousin,
Did your relatives come to the farmers' market in St. Augustine this weekend? I had an older couple that wanted to sample our pork, then see the brisket. They settled on a box of brisket and asked that it be chopped. They were new to me, usually the people get sliced beef, but Jack was happy to chop it for them.
As far as dancing in the trailer goes, sometimes it's a waltz and other times it's quick step with a little juggling act going, but it's better when we're dancing than sitting one out!
Peggy
They didn't make it this weekend but they have been there in the past. They have seen you there but haven�t sampled your BBQ. They will next time. Thanks for all the wonderful advice it's great that this forum is here because I have tons of questions. I am excited about getting my FEC hopefully by the beginning of next week. As for the 150 the money I would spend for that I could just get another FEC...I was thinking if I needed more in the future I will go for that. My background in cooking is from when I worked as second chef at an Italian restaurant in FL KEYS mike marker 68 1/2 Long key it was called little Italy, I worked there for 5 years and loved it. I have always enjoyed cooking Q and have had various smokers over the years. I bought a large step van and am in the process of building my kitchen. One question I have is holding product, and a steam table for serving hot food from. Also do you think it would be good to have a bain-marie for cold sides like slaw and potato salad and things like that? Also do you think BJ�s is a good source for meat�ribs, Pork, chicken � I know it�s a lot to ask at one time and I have been reading through all the forums like crazy. Thanks for all your help and the next time I am in ST Augustine I�ll be sure to come over for a visit.

Cousin Belly
belly,
hot food holding we normmaly do in the 150 at the farmers market since the time period is low and the counts are well within a resonable reach. for the cancer society fund raiser at the end of the month i will be using the steam table as i need either the fec or sm to cook for the market while we are doing the fund raiser (walk for life is friday may 5 and we will be there all night and then at 7 tow to the market.) just for fun and giggles that is 2 totally different menus. our steam table is 120v so it takes a while to heat water but if i use the hot water from the heater it does reduce that time. our chilled food holder is ice only no electricity involved. we normally don't use that at all since sides simply don't sell at the market and for drinks and garnish we work out of coleman extreme coolers which do a great job. we also have a 22 cu ft reefer in the rig but a word of caution there. in extreme summer heat,if you are going into and out of the reefer a lot, you can cause an icing problem due to the hummidity here in florida. in the summer a trick i use to preserve ice is to place the drinks in the freezer for about 35-45 mins and then into the cooler and then ice the drinks. works like a charm. on the sides a good workable solution is to get a standard hotel pan and find a cooler that they will fit into like our big green igloo cooler which oddly enough we use as a hot food delievery device. ok with slaw and such just portion it out into the size of serving souffle cups which work best and put the while thing on ice. same net effect as my 3 well cold food table.
bj's i am not familiar with as there is not one of their stores near us. we use sam's for disposable products like aluminum pans and things like pillsbury biskets and ketchup. meat to be honest i can beat sams price at wally world here and they carry brisket which our sam's does not. pork is either rowes or wally world depending on who is cheaper. by the way we consistantly use picnics as i can get a 60% yield from them vs 50% from butts and they are much juicer in the final product which is what our customers look for. we did use st. john's food service. they are great people and it really broke my heart to tell our sales rep that until we reached a higher level of sales we could no longer afford to tie up funds in inventory to meet their minimum. thankfully my rep understood since we went back for years and she knows once that happens she is the only person i will call.
chicken peg really likes our local store and since she cooks it that's where we get it.
ribs that's a toss up there when we do buy them it's wally world or even winn-dixie. just who ever is cheaper. ribs don't sell well at the market and the way those are being treated is if they ask we will custom smoke them with a 50% deposit and a 2 slab requirement as they come 2 to the cryo. baby backs are treated the same way but with a 3 slab minimum due to packaging. we learned to do this the hard way just like we learned to stay out of a vegetarian entree (lot of talk and asking and when doing it minimal sales. ah well live and learn)
hope it covered everything
jack
ps. since you have a business background i sure won't insult you by explaining rotational cooking but as a funny aside the guys from hilton couldn't figure out how we were cranking out wings as fast as we were. course they only had 6 fryers and felt they needed more Roll Eyes
If your FEC has not left the factory talk to Terri about adding two extra shelves. These are installed mid way between the top three shelves. This is of use with cooking chicken, tri-tip and brisket. It will do nothing for Butts or Ribs. For holding with this setup capcity is four 2" hotel pans and two 6" hotel pans or four 6" pans without the extra shelves. Our new FEC-100 arrived today with parts to upgrade our old FEC as well. So we went from 4 shelves this morning to 12 this afternoon. It's like third FEC for under $100 Smiler We did a show early this year with the FEC-100 and CS-150. We did 1,600 sandwiches in 5 days. The state fair last year we were doing $2,000 a day with a FEC-100, CS-150 and three ranch kettles. This year cookshack will be doing all the heavy lifting at the state fair.

The only thing to go out on our FEC-100 was the door seal which was replaced free under warranty. I have many times done 2,000+ pounds of meat in back to back cooks over several days without a problem. Just sure to do a good inside clean of grease dripping and ash after every hopper load of pellets.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.