Skip to main content

As I read through the threads about covers it is hinted around that the cover seem to be made for cooking in inclimate weather but they are not really made for storing the FE100 outside.

I am contemplating storing the FE100 outside. It will sit on a southern exposed concrete slab with a deck overhead. The decking will over some cover but rain will still get to the FE100. Is the cover good enough to protect the FE100 from the elements of the Pacific Northwest year round?

I was thinking with the cover on and some foil around the vent and underneath the hopper it should store fine that way but I need a definitive answer on the cover. Otherwise its plan B and cooking out of my garage. That will work but I wouldn't use it as much with it being in the garage. I live on a busy street and dont like to have my garage door open all night. Plus I am a little jumpy with having a fire burning in my garage while I am sleeping. Smiler
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had mine in my garage and was worried about it out on my deck in the rain. It has been out there for several heavy heavy downours and it worked out great. I did as you are talking about and made a piece out of flashing to attach under the hopper in case some rain splashed up. Also, I cover the exhaust vent with a a plastic bag. I will post a picture of the the piece I made for the hopper
I think the cover would be fine in the PNW, but I still keep mine in the garage and if I decided to keep it outdoors I would put some kind of umbrella over it (awning, roof whatever?)along with the cover. That's just me, and the fact that I paid 3 grand for this thing and wouldn't want to leave it out if I didn't have to.

Whereabouts in the PNW are you located?
quote:
Originally posted by bkyard_bbqn:
[qb] ...that the cover seem to be made for cooking in inclimate weather but they are not really made for storing the FE100 outside.
[/qb]
Now that one confused me. The cover isn't meant to be on while cooking. I just got mine in the mail, so I'll look at it.

Certainly an improvement in the new cooker is the insulation. There are some issues related to outdoor use and the most important one being don't get the pellets wet, or the vent hole being open to the outside.

Guess we need Eddie or Stuart to jump in an tell us about "Cold Weather" FE100 issues.

But you're not planning on any cold weather soon are you? Big Grin

Smokin'
Smokin,

Nah I am not planning on cold weather anytimne soon, but being in the PNW it rains all the time! I read somewhere that the cover could be kept on while cooking. As a matter of fact I am starting another thread with lots of pictures. I will start the thread and then I will mail you the pictures . A few of the pictures show the FE100 with the cover on after having finished a cook. Hope I understood correctly that you could use the cover while cooking.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.