Skip to main content

Yesterday I put a load of ribs in one of my FE100s. Once it was going, I had to run out to my RV storage to get my remote thermometer. When I got back the unit had shut down. I made sure there was power to it, but it would still not come on. I moved the racks of ribs and drip shield to my other smoker, and it worked fine on the same power source.

Is there a fuse or reset on the FE100, and if so, where is it located. I looked in the manual but can't find anything on the wiring diagram or in the instructions. The units are only about seven months old and have been used very little. I seldom use both at the same time and alternate use so that they both have about the same amount of ussage. I would estimate that I have about 100 to 125 hours on each.

I sent this to Cookshack, and I'm sure they will respond, but thought there might be someone on the forum who has had this happen or might give a quicker response.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Check to make sure that the high temp limit did not trip. There is a switch that the main power source hooks into that is mounted to the wall of the cooker. There is a reset button on this and it will trip if the temperature gets too high. Some people had some issues with these tripping at a lower temp than 450. If you have a multimeter and you are comfortable using it you can check to see if there is any voltage across it. You can also measure the resistance across the switch and if it is infinite then the switch has tripped.

Mark
Thanks guys. It was the reset. I pushed it and it came right on.

I wish I had know this yesterday. It would have been a lot easier to remove four screws and punch a button than it was moving the drip shield and a hundred pounds of ribs.

I'll have to watch this smoker next time to see if it happens again. If so, I have other problems. The last time I had one shut down and did a switch out, it was the inverter and not the smoker. At least this time I was smart enough to check out my power source first.

Electricity and me are like oil and water. I shut off power to the whole damn house before changing out a light switch or socket.

Thanks again.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.