Skip to main content

I've searched the forum and haven't seen the comparison between these models I'm looking for. I have no interest in competing, but wondered if the FE100 offered advantages other than it's legality for competitions? My interest is catering, and it looks like 2 of the SM150's would meet my needs nicely(or maybe a 150 and a 250). Scalable capacity, redundency, less mess and easier clean up. Originally I considered going the way 2greyhounds has gone, one of each, but I don't see the need in my case for the FE although the minimal electrical load of the FE is nice. Am I missing something? Appreciate any advice/opinions. Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

todd,
here is what we did (and thank god the trailer manufactirer is late as that part of florida is fine but at 2 am we are going to get pounded here).
at the nbbqa convention in atlanta we looked at both the fec100 and sm150. we bought one of each for the following reasons
1 - i am going to compete and from that build the business.
2 - since it is only my wife and myself wewere afraid that if i got jammed up she couldn't keep her end of things going
3 - john shifflet was nice enough to listen to her concerns and sent us inside to look at the sm150
4- patty and dan (hope i got those names right) showed peggy how the sm150 worked and took about an hour talking to her. she feels really comfortable with this unit
5 - the samples that we were given of ribs out of the sm150 were top notch!!!!!
6 - to be honest we will most likely use the sm150 more than the fec100 but it is also nice to be able to compete.
and this is why we got both
jack
2 Greyhounds....SMOKIN!!!!
so in a nutshell if all we were doing was catering i for sure would buy 2 sm150's for all the reasons that you listed and the nice part about that is for smaller jobs you could use one of them like a holding cabinet or even change temp settings and do a large variety of things at once.
but this much i am sure of whatever i bought it would be cookshack if at all possible and for one reason only----They are honest people that care about their customers!!!!!!! heck they even cared about us and we took over two hours of their time!!!!
jack
2 greys

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.