Skip to main content

I thought I would start this thread so that folks could add suggestions/wishes for an already awesome cooker. I am set to get mine shipped in May (so I can get the free cover).

1.) Smoke and hold feature.
It seems very possible if a heating element were added to the bottom of the unit, akin to a regular cookshack smoker, to get this feature. You could wire it in such a way so that after X hours of smoking, the auger and pellet feeder mechanism would stop feeding pellets, burn off the last of the pellets and then kick on the heating element and hold at a temperature set an a separate thermostat. This would be an optional feature. I.E. you can use it or not use it. Obviously, those that use a Marine battery to power the auger should use caution.

2.) A 225 degree setting on the temperature control.
So many folks use 225 as a base. Perhaps my thoughts will change once I get the smoker but the whole idea of me getting the smoker in the first place was to "set it and forget it". If I have to crawl out of the rack to change from smoke setting to a higher temperature then that defeats my purpose and intent. Again, maybe I have it all wrong.

3.) UL & NSL Approval. I am concerned about safety here. If I set the FE100 out on my patio with it plugged into an outside receptacle attached to my house and for some reason the FE100 catches on fire and burns my house down..will I be held liable because I knowingly bought the FE100 without those stickers? I have seen many pictures on this forum where people are talking about running them in their garage, myself included. Is that a huge gamble given they are not rated yet? Once they do get the rating, in the words of John Shiflet (sp) "If CookShack has to change one screw to get the rating, it would not apply to any of the previous FE100's we have shipped". So where would that leave me? Would Cookshack trade me even up for a new FE100?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We are having a few additional mod's done to our new FE. In order to make it more transportable we are cutting the legs off right below the drip pan and putting on a flat piece of metal. The unit then will be much lower and can sit on a tailgate of a pickup.

We then are building a new base for the upper unit to sit on to get the height that will hold the deep cycle batteries and invertor. Have new large - wide castors that will roll easier over rough ground.

We also are building some lift handles on both sides of the FE so two people can pick it up easier to put on the stand or into a truck.

Last idea is maybe attaching a pick of round stainless pipe so a umbrella can be attached to the FE to protect from rain.

We will post some pic's when the fabricator has completed the modifications.
I can then use it both ways. I will have a shorter FE that will transport better in a pickup or in a trailer. I will then also have the base with casters that I can lock the upper unit on to be like the original. The base will be enclosed to hold the electronics. When I use it at home it will be on the base with just a little more total height than we have now.

One other item we are building is a stainless rack to sit on top of the FE to hold our polder type devices. This will just sit there and not be attached.
I would like to see the hopper and auger housing fabricated out of Stainless as well. I may have this made this summer.

I would also like to see a different shelving system implemented. The current version deflects and warps under higher temperatures.

Additionally I want to install something on the side so I can stick my Polders to the unit. Darn stainless is magnetic! LOL
I would like to see this problem that I have now and again of the pellets continuing to burn back down the auger and into the hopper after shutting the unit off. I have been doing what Eddy suggested to turn to smoke for about 10 minutes then going to off. That hasn't helped twice after the first time it ever happened.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.