Skip to main content

Hello All- I am new to this site and forum and needed some advice. I am in the market for a Smoker and I really like the FEC 100 (Price is Biggest Reason). I have a successful BBQ Restuarant and use Southern Pride (2 Small Indoor Smokers), but I want my BBQ to be Great, not just good. So, my question is- is the FEC 100 the way to go when dollars are hard to come by right now, and will it perform? Thank's in advance to any that may be able to help me.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

While waiting on some of the restaurant guys,you might call sales and talk about fuel consumption.

They unexpectantly came up with some really lower fuel usage and they can pass that on to you.

Ask them to hook you up with Fast Eddy,as he has been a big help to many restaurants,giving hints he sees in his travels.

If you are successful now and can cook well,you'll be able to perform well with the FEC s.

If there are some specific areas you are trying to improve,you might toss those out for comment.

There are a number of top comp cooks,caterers,vendors that follow the forums some.
All smokers out there will work for you and if you ask the owners of X brand of smoker, they're loyal to you.

Of course asking here, you know what we'll say, but Tom gives you some good advice until the Rest. owners drop by (they're busy a lot, but they do stop in).

Guess you need to define "great". For me, and maybe this is blasphemy, but Great is defined by the cook, not what you chose. How good are you will answer that.

Now, I will say that the FE will really help in a lot of ways. You won't have to reload wood (just dump pellets) and you won't have to deal with the amount of ash. Plenty of variety in wood flavors.

I'll tell a story about a friend. Cooked at comps for many years and have LOTS of trophies to show for it. He opened a restaurant, bough a 100. He's doing so much business now, he doesn't know what to do.

But, here's his comment: "this 100 does so good on briskets and butts, it's better than anything I cooked on the circuit".

That's a great statement.

If you have questions, maybe some specific ones would help us help you.
Let me help you look a little beyond today. I hope you realize that there is risk in the food service business that others don't see. When the money gets tight or the economy takes a turn, people simply don't go out to eat or or go to the show. These two areas feel the trend in just one day while others like manufacturing have built in buffers.
The reason I bring this up is one of the great secrets of success is staying liquid. When a restaurant goes under, they would be lucky to get 50% of their investment out of the back kitchen equipment. More likely they will settle for selling at a 70% loss. Since the FEC 100 is not only an excellent commercial cooker it has a strong following among the non-pro and contest crowd. This means you are not stuck trying to sell to a very small list of customers. $3600.00 invested now can mean you can recover around $2800 to $3000 several years from now if you need to cut and run. That is totally unheard of in the used restaurant equipment market.
I hope you never have to sell off your assets one at a time (I talk from experience here) but it's nice to know that your FEC 100 won't be a money pit.
quote:
Originally posted by JPS:
It looks like I know where to go now for what I want to do.

So what did you decide? We won't be offended if you go with another brand. This pro forum is more about helping you be a success and answering questions.

Good luck, look forward to see how it goes for you.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.