Skip to main content

I was preparing for my opening weekend outside my commissary. I loaded the FEC-100 with 4 boston butts 2 briskets and 2 turkey breast. I took the turkey out at around 2:30 a.m.. I went to bed for 2 hours to wake up and get ready for the day. When I stepped outside to check the butts and brisket I noticed an off smell outside. My FEC-100 was on fire and it's mounted to my mobile trailer. Panic set in I was able to open the door and extinguish the fire. I think the whole unit is shot. It smells terrible, it won't start up. It was so hot inside it warped the door and metal inside the unit, gaskets were gone. I was thankful that nothing happened to my trailer. I think it was a grease fire, can the temp max out on the IQ 4? Has anyone had this expirence? This was about my 7 or 8 cook on it everything went great on all the other cooks. It produced some of the best BBQ I've ever done.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Let us know what the results are and what you had to do. 7-8 cooks isn't a lot before you caught it on fire. I foil everything and after each and every cook I change the foil out, vacum the fire pot,wipe down all the racks and re-foil everything. I spent way to much money to let anything happen to it!!
When fires happen, they don't just happen in an FE without the fire and something else combusting.

Usually it's grease. You say your trailer is level but I'd say check it. What's the level of the FE? Example, I've seen people not push the racks down right and the back actually angles up in a way that grease pools in the tray.

With an open fire, grease is usually the culprit. Check for blockage of the downspout, and pooling in the tray.

The high limit switch is inside behind the panel. Take the side cover off, and look for a button on the back of the electronics.

They're built liike a tank, and when I've seen them, the warp went away after cooling.

You can clean it out good, everything, and at most you might have to replace the ignitor if it got hot enough (you can start them manually, without one) and you might have to replace the seal on the door (inspect it first).

Just concentrate on what splashed or combusted with the fire, something cause it, and it's not a normal occurance. There's always a culprit, it's just hard to pin down sometimes after the fact.

You might also set a remote probe (wireless) with a high temp setting so that if it goes over XXX temp it warns you.
Personally I think the Maverick's are junk. They don't last and to SO's point, they don't go through walls so well. I'm about to try out the Oregon Scientific unit this weekend. The talking one has higher temp ranges and all their units supposedly have much greater distance.
quote:
Originally posted by SlimJim:
Personally I think the Maverick's are junk. They don't last and to SO's point, they don't go through walls so well. I'm about to try out the Oregon Scientific unit this weekend. The talking one has higher temp ranges and all their units supposedly have much greater distance.

I have different two different types of Mavericks and an Oregon Scientific. They both seem to work about the same.

On the Oregon Scientific, I have one transmitter and two receivers. At 225° the transmitter will operate about 45-60 minutes when you set it on the rack inside the smoker and then forget it. After that it's toast.

Don't think the Maverick would fair any better on that front.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.